Douglas Spanner is Professor Emeritus of Plant Biophysics at London University.
Having been an exemplary pupil of naval architecture (following in his father’s footsteps) at Chatham Dockyard, Douglas Spanner went to Imperial College, London to study chemistry. Resuming his scientific studies after the war, and moving to Biology, he was awarded a PhD in 1951 and a DSc in 1972. He taught Botany at London University at Bedford College (now incorporated into Royal Holloway and Bedford New College), where he was responsible for the Electron Microscopy unit. He retired from the chair of Plant Biophysics in 1978.
After serving as Reader at St Mary’s Church, South Ealing from the sixties, he was ordained in 1973, and served honorary curacies in Ealing, Eynsham and Grove (Oxfordshire) before retiring ‘properly’ in 1986.
He and his wife Gwenllian have four children, eight grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.